Why is this an issue?
Quality teaching is essential to attainment at all stages of education. We’ll join forces with a wide range of partners both nationally and across the city to build on and strengthen existing activities in recruitment, retention and continuing professional development (CPD).
We believe that investment in teachers’ learning and careers is critical to recruitment and retention, as well as to the quality of teaching and leadership in the city’s schools.
What will we do?
- improve peer-to-peer support amongst teachers and improve access to targeted CPD and career planning advice
- explore avenues for recruiting more maths and science specialists
- strengthen the CPD offer for teachers in the city
- collaborate with local school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) programmes to develop and build upon Teacher Subject Specialism Training in maths and science. We will build on the capacity of non-specialists who may be able to move into a maths or science role, upskill non-specialist teachers currently teaching maths or science; and work with those looking to return to the profession
- promote the work of our EEF Research School to link teachers with evidence informed practices
- work in partnership with the 2 universities to expand undergraduate internships in local schools to help develop the teaching workforce of the future
To find out more about our targets read our delivery plan here.